[rancid] Using of Rancid to backup Linux' files
Wagner Pereira
2011-02-03 18:42:45 UTC
Hi, everybody.

Was Rancid made to backup Linux' files? Are there some script to do that?

Att,
--
Wagner Pereira

PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presença da RNP em São Paulo
CCE/USP - Centro de Computação Eletrônica da Universidade de São Paulo
http://www.pop-sp.rnp.br
Tel. +55 11 3091-8901
***@RNP: 10158902
Wagner Pereira
2011-02-03 19:28:36 UTC
Hey, Adam.

I intend to backup some specific files, such as some .conf files
(Request Tracker, Cacti, Nagios, FreeRADIUS, the Rancid thenselves) etc

Att,
--

Post by Wagner Pereira
Hi, everybody.
Was Rancid made to backup Linux' files? Are there some script to do that?
Were you interested in revisions/diffs of any particular subset of
specific files, or are you talking about general backup of a Linux
host?
--Adam
Adam Korab
2011-02-03 19:50:24 UTC
Post by Wagner Pereira
Hey, Adam.
I intend to backup some specific files, such as some .conf files (Request
Tracker, Cacti, Nagios, FreeRADIUS, the Rancid thenselves) etc
Do you mean to just back them up periodically, or do you actually want
hourly diffs like rancid does for devices?

If the former, I suggest rsync from cron.

If the latter, it's entirely possible to modify one of the clogin
variants for a Linux host and then ssh to the host and scrape out the
desired file, shove it into cvs/svn, diff it, mail the diffs, etc. I
have no idea if anybody has done so yet, though.

--Adam
Ryan West
2011-02-03 19:53:43 UTC
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2010-October/005315.html