[rancid] Email Question
Mack, David A (Dave)
2011-08-19 15:12:35 UTC
Hello All!
I tried looking at the FAQ and email achieves and I could not find any discussions on this topic. We have a very large network and having been using Rancid for many years. It has work really well for us. However, the number of devices and changes has gone beyond ability to track on a daily basis. By this I mean that we no longer require the daily diff and possibly even the changes emails for each device group. Is there a clean way to stop Rancid from sending these emails?

Thanks in Advance!
Dave

David A. Mack (703) 886-2661 (W)
CCIE #6963 (Sec, SP OPS, SP and R&S) JNCIE-M #399 CISSP (703) 431-7617 (C)
email: ***@verizon.com
"We are now the knights who say... Ping!"
john heasley
2011-08-19 16:37:19 UTC
Post by Mack, David A (Dave)
Hello All!
I tried looking at the FAQ and email achieves and I could not find any discussions on this topic. We have a very large network and having been using Rancid for many years. It has work really well for us. However, the number of devices and changes has gone beyond ability to track on a daily basis. By this I mean that we no longer require the daily diff and possibly even the changes emails for each device group. Is there a clean way to stop Rancid from sending these emails?
the easiest way would be to redirect the mail alias for the given group(s)
to /dev/null or better yet (imo), let those who wish not to receive them
filter them via procmail.
Mack, David A (Dave)
2011-08-19 17:38:31 UTC
John,
Thanks for the quick response! The challenge with procmail is that the users are in a corporate environment where email is handled by MS Exchange.

Thanks!
Dave

filter them via procmail.
Adam Korab
2011-08-19 17:42:07 UTC
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Mack, David A (Dave)
John,
       Thanks for the quick response! The challenge with procmail is that the users are in a corporate environment where email is handled by MS Exchange.
Do you have local aliases defined on the machine running rancid
itself, like rancid-foo and rancid-admin-foo? If so, just change that
to /dev/null and bitbucket it.

--Adam
Mack, David A (Dave)
2011-08-19 17:43:38 UTC
Adam,
Check! That is exactly what I will do.

Thanks!
Dave

--Adam
Adam Korab
2011-08-19 17:45:38 UTC
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Mack, David A (Dave)
Adam,
       Check! That is exactly what I will do.
Been there, done that. ;-)

And thus, the great philsophical debate of whether you put an Exchange
DL as the target in /etc/aliases and control the user distribution at
Exchange, or add the individual user accounts to the localhost
alias....

--Adam
Mack, David A (Dave)

'john heasley'
2011-08-19 17:48:27 UTC
Post by Mack, David A (Dave)
John,
Thanks for the quick response! The challenge with procmail is that the users are in a corporate environment where email is handled by MS Exchange.
eliminate them [from the mail list].

or, use mailman to expand the list, where users can individually configure
themselves to receive the mail, block the mail, receive a digest, or review
archives.