[rancid] Discussion of what is almost certainly a terrible idea
Adam Korab
2011-08-22 14:38:28 UTC
Hi gang,

Has anybody ever attempted to coerce running rancid on a Windows
host[0], using cygwin or the like? If so, met with any success?

--Adam

[0] I know, I know. It's a layer 8 problem of "We don't use any Linux
servers here, only Windows!"
Lee
2011-08-23 04:56:27 UTC
Post by Adam Korab
Hi gang,
Has anybody ever attempted to coerce running rancid on a Windows
host[0], using cygwin or the like? If so, met with any success?
It works great using cygwin. The problems I remember were that a
timeout tended to hang clogin. My fix was sending an "exit" to the
ssh process somewhere around line 433:
# This helps cleanup each expect clause.
expect_after {
timeout {
send_user "\nError: TIMEOUT reached\n"
send "exit\r" ;# -LR-
catch {close}; catch {wait};
if { $in_proc} {
return 1
} else {
continue
}

The other issue was that long device names caused [i forgot what
problem] in clogin. My fix was bumping up the match length somewhere
around line 644:
# match cisco config mode prompts too, such as router(config-if)#,
# but catalyst does not change in this fashion.
# -LR- regsub -all fails on cygwin + long device name. {1,21} works
regsub -all {^(.{1,21}).*([#>])$} $prompt
{\1([^#>\r\n]+)?[#>](\\([^)\\r\\n]+\\))?} reprompt
expect {
-re $reprompt {}
-re "\[\n\r]+" { exp_continue }
}

Lee
theodoros sarikoudis
2011-08-23 08:42:35 UTC
The only issue is a modification on the ping command

Install cygwin with gcc
download and untar rancid sources
run (from untar directory ) the standard:
./configure
install any missing components from the ./configure output
then run :
make
report if you get any errors.
(I used rancid from 2005 on cygwin till now. I got also the same
answer: we are a windows shop!)