[rancid] rancid-run does not always send report (diffs)
Donovan Fourie
2011-05-19 13:12:59 UTC
Hi

Please could someone help me out with a Rancid problem I've been having for
the last few weeks.

Rancid is scheduled to run every night just after midnight with no
additional configuration switches:

0 3 * * * /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run

Everything works for a couple of days/week and then suddenly it stops
sending emails and the end of the log files shows:

Getting missed routers: round 2.

All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .

cvs diff: Diffing configs

cvs commit: Examining .

cvs commit: Examining configs

ending: Wed May 18 03:40:45 SAST 2011

When I run it manually when I get in later that morning it completes and
sends a mail and then works for the next few days before it packs up again.

Regards,

Donovan Fourie
Donovan Fourie
2011-05-20 07:31:13 UTC
Hi

Thanks for the help.
I've already checked the mail logs and it appears as though no mail was
generated by rancid. Unfortunately I've already had to run Rancid again so
checking the version numbers now would not be very helpful. I did however
notice that the version numbers for our routers never changed by more than 1
even though rancid ran twice between emails so the changes were probably not
committed.
As I mentioned previously, now that I have manually done a rancid-run it
will continue to work for a few days before it breaks. Once this problem
crops up again (probably in the next 2 days) I will check version numbers to
see if any changes were committed.

Regards,
Donovan Fourie

Post by Donovan Fourie
the last few weeks.
Rancid is scheduled to run every night just after midnight with no
0 3 * * * /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run
Everything works for a couple of days/week and then suddenly it stops
have you looked at mail logs to see if it did send mail that just was not
delivered? have you checked the commit dates in cvs to see if anything
was actually committed, ie: if any changes were recognized?
Post by Donovan Fourie
Getting missed routers: round 2.
All routers sucessfully completed.
cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
ending: Wed May 18 03:40:45 SAST 2011
When I run it manually when I get in later that morning it completes and
sends a mail and then works for the next few days before it packs up
again.
Post by Donovan Fourie
Regards,
Donovan Fourie
Donovan Fourie
2011-05-23 07:09:05 UTC
Hi

Once again Rancid did not send an e-mail on Sunday morning and Monday
morning. I was the only person at work on Saturday and the server is only
configured with Rancid and Sysmon. No changes were made between Saturday
morning when it worked and Sunday morning when it did not.

Saturday (worked):

Getting missed routers: round 1.
All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
Checking in configs/41.216.xxx.xxx;
/usr/local/rancid/var/CVS/sai/configs/41.216.xxx.xxx,v <-- 41.216.xxx.xxx
done

ending: Sat May 21 03:10:38 SAST 2011

Sunday (No E-mail):

Getting missed routers: round 2.
All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs

ending: Sun May 22 03:20:40 SAST 2011

When checking /rancid/var/CVS/sai/configs$ it does not look like a new
version of the config was retrieved for the router mentioned in the Saturday
Rancid:

head 1.10;
access;
symbols;
locks; strict;
comment @# @;
expand @o@;

1.10
date 2011.05.21.01.10.37; author rancid; state Exp;
branches;
next 1.9;

1.9
date 2011.05.20.01.10.46; author rancid; state Exp;
branches;
next 1.8;

I'm quite stumped by this as I can't find any reason why Rancid would work
one day but not the next. I know that if I had to manually run Rancid now it
would successfully collect the new configs and send a mail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Donovan Fourie

I've already checked the mail logs and it appears as though no mail was
generated by rancid. Unfortunately I've already had to run Rancid again so
checking the version numbers now would not be very helpful. I did however
of course it would. there is a version and date for every commit.
Post by Donovan Fourie
see if any changes were committed.
you're not telling us something. you're doing more than just running
run-rancid.
Arnaud Launay
2011-05-23 07:29:54 UTC
Post by Donovan Fourie
Getting missed routers: round 2.
All routers sucessfully completed.
cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
ending: Sun May 22 03:20:40 SAST 2011
Rancid does *not* send mail where there are no changes. Seems to
me it worked perfectly.

Arnaud.
Drikus Brits
2011-06-06 20:26:11 UTC
Hi all,

Is there a way to suppress certain lines of config from being matched in the diffs and from being notified.

We have a bunch of core devices with a certain firmware that keeps on giving he below :

<snip>
Warning: Overriding existing carrier delay value to 0
</snip>

Is there a way to suppress the above when the final "write" is executed by rancid

Thx

Drikus

This e-mail is classified C2 - Vodacom Restricted - Information to be used inside Vodacom but it may be shared with authorised partners
�This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can be accessed by Clicking on this link www.vodacom.co.za/vodacom/terms+and+conditions "
Donovan Fourie
2011-05-25 07:16:09 UTC
Hi

Looks like you might have hit the nail on the head. Without any additional
changes Rancid has started sending the diff emails again.
Although I find it hard to believe that we can go through two days without
changes on the routers/switches, it does seem to explain our predicament.
Strange though that if I run Rancid manually a few hours after not receiving
a mail it will find changes in the config on our Catalyst switches?

Regards,
Donovan Fourie

Arnaud.
Arnaud Launay
2011-05-25 08:11:48 UTC
Post by Donovan Fourie
Strange though that if I run Rancid manually a few hours after
not receiving a mail it will find changes in the config on our
Catalyst switches?
Try the following to check the pattern:
- launch rancid (send a mail or not)
- modify something insignificant on a router
- launch rancid (should send a mail)
- launch rancid again (should *not* send a mail)

Arnaud.