[rancid] Routing table
Joost Eijgenbrood
2011-03-18 15:23:06 UTC

I would like to start monitoring our routing table for changes. I found some instructions related to Rancid v2.3.1, but for some reason I cannot get it to work with my current version 2.3.6. Not sure what's going on, but I must admit I'm not an expert on this topic.

Is someone able to provide me with the config-changes necessary to be able to include a "show ip route" in each run?

Thanks!
Joost

________________________________

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.

It may contain confidential and /or privileged material. If someone other than the intended recipient should receive this e-mail, he / she shall not be entitled to read, disseminate, disclose or duplicate it.

If you receive this e-mail unintentionally, please inform us immediately by "reply" and then delete it from your system. Although this information has been compiled with great care, neither IMC Financial Markets & Asset Management nor any of its related entities shall accept any responsibility for any errors, omissions or other inaccuracies in this information or for the consequences thereof, nor shall it be bound in any way by the contents of this e-mail or its attachments. In the event of incomplete or incorrect transmission, please return the e-mail to the sender and permanently delete this message and any attachments.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all known viruses. Always scan attachments before opening them.
Chris Gauthier
2011-03-18 15:56:54 UTC
This is an interesting idea I had not considered before. I might also be interested in this "feature".

Chris
[...]
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Attention: The information contained in this email and/or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.
Jethro R Binks
2011-03-18 16:06:49 UTC
Post by Chris Gauthier
This is an interesting idea I had not considered before. I might also
be interested in this "feature".
I do this for h3crancid. However, I need to arrange for it to be sorted,
as the order tends to change sometimes causing unnecessary updates (OSPF
campus environment).

However, I suspect a knob is needed for the end user to be able to turn it
on or off, as some people definitely won't want this, especially if they
are in an environment where the routes are unstable for whatever reason.
Rancid's probably not the best tool in that case.

J.
Chris
[...]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.
Nick Buraglio
2011-03-18 16:27:40 UTC
We are doing this with our regional network using some simple scripts
and svn. I've often considered rolling this into our rancid install
and pushed it deeper into campuses. Is this something others may want?

--
nb
Post by Jethro R Binks
Post by Chris Gauthier
This is an interesting idea I had not considered before. I might also
be interested in this "feature".
I do this for h3crancid. However, I need to arrange for it to be sorted,
as the order tends to change sometimes causing unnecessary updates (OSPF
campus environment).
However, I suspect a knob is needed for the end user to be able to turn it
on or off, as some people definitely won't want this, especially if they
are in an environment where the routes are unstable for whatever reason.
Rancid's probably not the best tool in that case.
J.
Chris
james machado

[...]
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
Nick Buraglio

Chris Gauthier
2011-03-18 17:00:56 UTC
I like the earlier idea of a "knob" to turn the feature on or off. It could be particularly "noisy" if you start having dynamic routing problems.

Chris
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
Post by Chris Gauthier
Messages and attachments are scanned for all known viruses. Always
scan attachments before opening them.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Attention: The information contained in this email and/or attachments is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any system and destroy any copies.
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Nick Buraglio
2011-03-18 17:13:24 UTC
Oh yeah, it makes much more sense to make it an option.

--
nb
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
Post by Chris Gauthier
Messages and attachments are scanned for all known viruses. Always
scan attachments before opening them.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Attention: The information contained in this email and/or attachments is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any system and destroy any copies.
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Bob Brunette
2011-03-18 17:21:32 UTC
A "knob" idea for minimizing noisiness would be to not output routes that are newer than a hold-down period and instead output a single "!Routing change detected" line at the end of the routes display. If you collect configs hourly, you could set the hold-down timer to 65 minutes or so.

This way, you would see a single change with the "!Routing change detected" line in your config history as long as routes continue to flap between collections. Obviously this masks multiple routing changes and wouldn't help in troubleshooting a route flapping problem, but that's not what RANCID is for anyway.

Bob

Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
Post by Chris Gauthier
Messages and attachments are scanned for all known viruses. Always
scan attachments before opening them.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Attention: The information contained in this email and/or attachments is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any system and destroy any copies.
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ron Whitney
2011-03-18 17:41:13 UTC
Personally, I'd want a way to turn it off globally for a device or set
of devices. For my internal routers, I see it having value and I too
would welcome the feature. However, for my Internet routers, I see no
reason to have RANCID look at 330,000+ prefixes that constantly change.
Perhaps a "knob" and a "switch" would be in order.

Ron Whitney
Network Administrator

Do it Best Corp. | 6502 Nelson Road | Fort Wayne, IN 46803
260.748.5657 (direct) | 260.748.5623 (fax)
This would be a very nice thing to be able to do. I
would be very
Post by james machado
interested in this.
James
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
install and pushed it deeper into campuses. Is this something
others may want?
--
nb
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by james machado
Post by james machado
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
Rancid's probably not the best tool in that case.
J.
Chris
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
Post by Chris Gauthier
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
Post by Chris Gauthier
---------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
Attention: The information contained in this email
and/or attachments is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of
any action
in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any
system and
destroy any copies.
Post by james machado
Post by Nick Buraglio
Post by Jethro R Binks
Post by Chris Gauthier
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . .
Post by james machado
2011-03-23 16:31:06 UTC
Any version of RANCID catches output of 'get chassis' command on
Juniper Netscreen.

Thanks,
Corey Quinn
2011-03-23 22:57:21 UTC
Post by A***@HydroOne.com
Any version of RANCID catches output of 'get chassis' command on
Juniper Netscreen.
Looks like jrancid covers a range of "get chassis" options.

- -- Corey
A***@HydroOne.com
2011-03-23 23:35:03 UTC
Netscreen uses nrancid.

A***@HydroOne.com
2011-03-24 01:50:48 UTC
I see what you mean, will have a look. Just wondering if anyone already took a shot at it.

Thanks

2011-03-26 07:10:42 UTC

just my point of view:
- Rancid does configbackups
- 'sh ip route' gives you a current state, not the configured state
(dyn. routing)
- you want monitoring, use a monitoringtool like Icinga
- there are snmp tables for that
--
Viele Grüße / Kind Regards / Cordiali Saluti / Met vriendelijke groet

Ralph J.Mayer

xmpp:***@vinotech.de www.vinoblog.de mailto:***@vinotech.de