[rancid] Failure with Extreme XOS 12.x
Marc Müller
2007-11-27 16:10:47 UTC
Hi everybody.

I'm new to rancid and i hope this issue hasn't been covered before
(didn't find anything on the list though).

Got rancid 2.3.2a7 working smoothly with the ciscos but no chance with
Extreme X450a's running EXOS 12.x.

It seems that xrancid tries to log in using a login/enable scheme and
does not get the replies it expects. So no config gets written.

Any help in fixing this would be appreciated

regards,
Marc
Joachim Jerberg Jensen
2007-11-28 08:45:41 UTC
Post by Marc Müller
Hi everybody.
I'm new to rancid and i hope this issue hasn't been covered before
(didn't find anything on the list though).
Got rancid 2.3.2a7 working smoothly with the ciscos but no chance with
Extreme X450a's running EXOS 12.x.
I have just been struggling with the same setup, and it required a few hacks to work.
Post by Marc Müller
It seems that xrancid tries to log in using a login/enable scheme and
does not get the replies it expects. So no config gets written.
Can you post what exactly happens?

--
Joachim Jerberg Jensen
Marc
Marc Müller
2007-11-28 09:29:43 UTC
Post by Joachim Jerberg Jensen
Post by Marc Müller
9
Hi everybody.
I'm new to rancid and i hope this issue hasn't been covered before
(didn't find anything on the list though).
Got rancid 2.3.2a7 working smoothly with the ciscos but no chance with
Extreme X450a's running EXOS 12.x.
I have just been struggling with the same setup, and it required a few hacks to work.
sounds like you've been succesfull...
Post by Marc Müller
It seems that xrancid tries to log in using a login/enable scheme and
does not get the replies it expects. So no config gets written.
Can you post what exactly happens?
xrancid calls clogin - clogin logs in as an admin user and then tries to
run an 'enable' cmd. Off course this returns not the expected results
and the rancid script times out...

Log output:
Trying to get all of the configs.
couldn't compile regular expression pattern: quantifier operand invalid
while executing
"expect -nobrace -re {* tln-ch-zr([^#>\r\n]+)?[#>](\([^)\r\n]+\))?} {}
-re {[
^M]+} { exp_continue }"
invoked from within
"expect {
-re $reprompt {}
-re "\[\n\r]+" { exp_continue }
}"
(procedure "run_commands" line 23)
invoked from within
"run_commands $prompt $command"
("foreach" body line 150)
invoked from within
"foreach router [lrange $argv $i end] {
set router [string tolower $router]
# attempt at platform switching.
set platform ""
send_user ..."
(file "/home/rancid/bin/clogin" line 712)^M
x.x.x.x: missed cmd(s): show configuration detail,show slot,show
configuration,show version,show diag,show memory,show switch
x.x.x.x: End of run not found

Marc
Marc
Joachim Jerberg Jensen
2007-11-29 08:27:58 UTC
Joachim Jerberg Jensen
2008-02-06 16:48:44 UTC
Teun Vink
2008-02-08 08:46:21 UTC
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 4:11 PM
Hi,
I'm experiencing similar problems on our X450's running XOS 12. I've
tried the patch mentioned above, but still the rancid runs don't end.
Was this patch all you did? If so, could you please share your xrancid
file with me to see what I did wrong?
http://www.jerberg.dk/XOS-patch/
I don't use it anymore, as we have got EPICenter up and running.
But as far as I remember it will fail the two first logins, and 3. will succeed.
As It was a temporarily solution, I didn't want to spend time to find out why.
The clogin only works with Extreme, so you might have an "Extreme version" of clogin,
and a "non-Extreme version" if you have a mixed environment. I did it that way..
I know it's nasty, but it worked for me until we got the EPICenter.
Thanks. I still have some issues (end of runs still aren't detected
nicely), but this might be of some help!

Teun

Teun Vink
2008-02-06 15:11:17 UTC
[...]
Post by Marc Müller
[...]
It doesn't detect when the configuration is finished, so the
$found_end = 1;
never becomes set.
--
# catch anything that wasnt match above.
ProcessHistory("COMMENTS","keysort","H0","$_");
Hi,

I'm experiencing similar problems on our X450's running XOS 12. I've
tried the patch mentioned above, but still the rancid runs don't end.

Was this patch all you did? If so, could you please share your xrancid
file with me to see what I did wrong?

Thanks,

Teun