[rancid] Foundry/Brocade addition - show media
Chris Wopat
2014-12-04 21:24:21 UTC
I don't know the official way to submit a feature request/patch, so
here goes via this list.

This adds `show media` and `show media validation` to 'francid' which
will give useful information about which optics are installed in a
device. Tested on a Brocade ICX 6650 and Brocade CER 2024.

http://falz.net/static/francid-media.diff

--Chris
Roman Hochuli
2014-12-09 08:51:16 UTC
Hello Chris
Post by Chris Wopat
This adds `show media` and `show media validation` to 'francid' which
will give useful information about which optics are installed in a
device. Tested on a Brocade ICX 6650 and Brocade CER 2024.
http://falz.net/static/francid-media.diff
I like the idea of keeping track of optics. But what output should "show
media validation" produce? I tried this on a bunch of devicetypes
(rx/icx/fcx/fesx/mlxe/xmr) and none of them support that command.
--
Best regards,
Roman Hochuli

nexellent ag
Saegereistrasse 33
CH-8152 Glattbrugg

Phone: +41 44 872 20 00
Fax: +41 44 872 20 01

Imagination is the one weapon in the war
against reality.
-- Jules de Gaultier
Josten, Michael
2014-12-09 11:43:01 UTC
I checked the command on an icx 6610 device with fw version 8 and it exists.
On a fcx switch with firmware version 7.2 it doesn't exist. Neither is this command
available on fw version 7.4. I also checked an ICX7750 device with fw version 8 and the
command is available. It is most likely that this command isn't available in firmware version
below v.8

-- Jules de Gaultier
Roman Hochuli
2014-12-10 10:11:15 UTC
Hello Michael
Post by Josten, Michael
I checked the command on an icx 6610 device with fw version 8 and it exists.
It seems you're right. I even found some documentation for it after
digging into it:
http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FI_08010_ADMIN/GUID-DB102C16-80A4-4AAC-B400-DB564D79DACD.html

Apparently really a new feature in FastIron firmware release 8.

-- Jules de Gaultier
Chris Wopat
2014-12-10 14:06:40 UTC
On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 2:51 AM, Roman Hochuli
Post by Roman Hochuli
I like the idea of keeping track of optics. But what output should "show
media validation" produce? I tried this on a bunch of devicetypes
(rx/icx/fcx/fesx/mlxe/xmr) and none of them support that command.
I have two devices to test on - ICX6550, CER2024F. It works on the
ICX, not on the CER. ICX is running 8.x code. On CER, `show media`
shows vendor information, but not on ICX which is why it was included.
Here's some sample CER output:

#show media validation
Port Supported Vendor Type
1/1/2 Yes CISCO-MODULETEK 1G M-LX(SFP)
1/1/4 Yes MODULETEK 10GE LR 10km (SFP +)
1/1/31 Yes MODULETEK 10GE ER 40km (SFP+)
1/1/32 Yes Brocade 10GE ER 40km (SFP+)

#show media | exclude EMPTY
Port 1/1/1: Type : 1G M-TX(SFP)
Port 1/1/2: Type : 1G M-LX(SFP)
Port 1/1/4: Type : 10GE LR 10km (SFP +)
Port 1/1/31: Type : 10GE ER 40km (SFP +)
Port 1/1/32: Type : 10GE ER 40km (SFP +)

--Chris