[rancid] Newbie --need direction
Keith Todd
2011-08-19 15:22:39 UTC
I just need some direction for rancid.

I am running
Ubuntu server 11.04
postfix as MTA
Subversion

If anyone could point me to a doc(s) for best practice. I have looked but they are some many.

Thanks

Keith Todd
john heasley
2011-08-19 16:39:40 UTC
Post by Keith Todd
I just need some direction for rancid.
I am running
Ubuntu server 11.04
postfix as MTA
Subversion
If anyone could point me to a doc(s) for best practice. I have looked but they are some many.
direction to do what? I presume installation/initial config; there are
a few how-to get started docs linked from the rancid page for linux/freebsd.
Adam Korab
2011-08-19 16:35:16 UTC
Post by Keith Todd
I just need some direction for rancid.
I am running
Ubuntu server 11.04
postfix as MTA
Subversion
If anyone could point me to a doc(s) for best practice.  I have looked but they are some many.
Start with the README file in the directory created when you unpacked
the tar.gz. Look for the section titled "Quick Installation Guide"

--Adam
Keith Todd
2011-08-19 17:09:04 UTC
I install
apt-get install rancid

I add the groups I need in the rancid.conf

I change from cvs to svn

i run rancid-cvs

I added the alias need to email = postfix MTA

what I need to know,

using the apt-get install rancid is correct way?

I am can get the configs from routers, switches (cisco only for now) with clogin -c 'write term" -autoenable ipaddress > location

HP switches I cannot.

Just make sure I have the correct distro.

Thanks again for any insight.

Keith
Mahaffey, Brian
2011-08-19 18:33:59 UTC
With HP are you using hlogin -c 'write term" -autoenable ipaddress

Keith Todd
2011-08-19 18:46:29 UTC
will try the hlogin

thanks for your help
Paul Gear
2011-08-20 00:29:54 UTC
Post by Keith Todd
will try the hlogin
thanks for your help
Post by Mahaffey, Brian
With HP are you using hlogin -c 'write term" -autoenable ipaddress
Note that for interactive use, clogin is often better than hlogin for
recent ProCurve models. I use RANCID with 5400, 2810/2800, 2610/2600,
and 2520/2510, and in every case, clogin works better than hlogin when
logging in interactively via ssh. For batch use, hlogin is necessary.
YMMV.

Paul
Adam Korab
2011-08-19 18:15:56 UTC
I am can get the configs from routers, switches (cisco only for now) with clogin -c 'write term" -autoenable  ipaddress > location
HP switches I cannot.
Try using hlogin instead of clogin for your HP devices, and make sure
that in router.db for the group you use:

switchname:hp:up

instead of switchname:cisco:up so rancid will know to use
hrancid/hlogin) for that device.

--Adam
Paul Gear
2011-08-20 00:31:02 UTC
Post by Keith Todd
HP switches I cannot.
Another suggestion: set autoenable in .cloginrc for recent ProCurve models.