[rancid] .cloginrc - problem with password
Paolo De Michele
2012-01-23 18:18:07 UTC
hi list,
I have problems to authenticate my cisco router with passwordi to enable.

the scenario is as follows:
- authentication password has special characters, uppercase letters,
lowercase letters and numbers
- enable password has capital letters, lowercase letters and numbers

my .cloginrc is:

add method {ssh}
add user 10.0.0.3 username
add userpassword 10.0.0.3 {P-------l----3--------@}
add enauser 10.0.0.3 {L------x-x-0----l-------}

I also tried:

add method {ssh}
add user 10.0.0.3 username
add userpassword 10.0.0.3 {P-------l----3--------@}
{L------x-x-0----l-------}

the problem is that I am logging to the router but not in enable.
something wrong in the syntax of the file. cloginrc?
I look forward to your help
thanks in advance
Paolo De Michele
2012-01-23 19:20:45 UTC
Post by Paolo De Michele
hi list,
I have problems to authenticate my cisco router with passwordi to enable.
- authentication password has special characters, uppercase letters,
lowercase letters and numbers
see the cloginrc(5) manpage for dealing with special characters, the
format of userpassword and enauser and autoenable.
now, my .cloginrc is:

add method * {ssh}
add user * {-------------}
add userpassword * {Pxxxxxxxxxx3xxxxx@}
add passprompt {"L-----------------c3------"}

from console:

***@10.x.x.x's password:

cxxxxxx>enable
Password:
Password:
Password:
% Bad secrets

I am sure that the enable password I put is correct, but I don't
understand where I'm wrong syntax
Gareth Hopkins
2012-01-23 19:31:39 UTC

Try just with add password.
As per the clogin sample file

<snip>

# add userpassword <router name glob> <user password>
# The password for user if different than the password set
# using 'add password'.

</snip>

Cheers,

Gareth
Paolo De Michele
2012-01-23 19:45:44 UTC
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Hi,
hi Gareth,
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Try just with add password.
add password 10.0.0.3
As per the clogin sample file
<snip>
# add userpassword <router name glob> <user password>
# The password for user if different than the password set
# using 'add password'.
now it's correctly?

add *userpassword* 10.0.0.3
Post by Gareth Hopkins
</snip>
Cheers,
Gareth
Gareth Hopkins
2012-01-23 19:56:32 UTC

userpassword is only used if the password is different to the password set by the add password option.

so change "add userpassword" to "add password"

Cheers,

Gareth
Post by Paolo De Michele
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Hi,
hi Gareth,
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Try just with add password.
As per the clogin sample file
<snip>
# add userpassword <router name glob> <user password>
# The password for user if different than the password set
# using 'add password'.
now it's correctly?
Post by Gareth Hopkins
</snip>
Cheers,
Gareth
Gareth Hopkins
2012-01-23 20:04:38 UTC
Do you perhaps have a global setting somewhere else in your clogin file as you only have an entry for 10.0.0.3
and not 10.0.0.6 which you are getting the error from.

Cheers,

Gareth
add user 10.0.0.3 xxxxxxxxxx
Permission denied, please try again.
Error: Check your passwd for 10.0.0.6
excuse me, but I don't understand where I'm wrong
are inexperienced and if I don't go out in this point are completely blocked. Thanks again
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Hi,
userpassword is only used if the password is different to the password set by the add password option.
so change "add userpassword" to "add password"
Cheers,
Gareth
Post by Paolo De Michele
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Hi,
hi Gareth,
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Try just with add password.
As per the clogin sample file
<snip>
# add userpassword <router name glob> <user password>
# The password for user if different than the password set
# using 'add password'.
now it's correctly?
Post by Gareth Hopkins
</snip>
Cheers,
Gareth
Paolo De Michele
2012-01-23 21:16:43 UTC
have the same password of all routers
It is not a problem of global settings
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Do you perhaps have a global setting somewhere else in your clogin
file as you only have an entry for 10.0.0.3
and not 10.0.0.6 which you are getting the error from.
Cheers,
Gareth
add user 10.0.0.3 xxxxxxxxxx
add password 10.0.0.3
Permission denied, please try again.
Error: Check your passwd for 10.0.0.6
excuse me, but I don't understand where I'm wrong
are inexperienced and if I don't go out in this point are completely
blocked. Thanks again
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Hi,
userpassword is only used if the password is different to the
password set by the add password option.
so change "add userpassword" to "add password"
Cheers,
Gareth
Post by Paolo De Michele
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Hi,
hi Gareth,
Post by Gareth Hopkins
Try just with add password.
add password 10.0.0.3
Paolo De Michele
2012-01-23 22:48:17 UTC
Trix Farrar
2012-01-24 00:22:20 UTC
add user 10.0.0.3 xxxxxxxxxx
Permission denied, please try again.
Error: Check your passwd for 10.0.0.3
why?
I'm willing to bet that the '@' is tripping you up. Try escaping it
with a backslash ('\@' instead of '@') in the password portion of your
~/.cloginrc. I've run into that before.
--
John D. "Trix" Farrar __\\|//__ Basement.NET
***@basement.net (` o-o ') http://www.basement.net/
GPG Key Fprint: 525F DBA7 1A62 E4C4 E642 DF95 384B B851 3CEF C10A
Paolo De Michele
2012-01-23 20:02:18 UTC