[rancid] Rancid randomly reports routers added/deleted
Steve Snodgrass
2008-03-21 15:32:08 UTC
I'm using 2.3.2a8 and sometimes it just randomly reports that routers
have been added/deleted, even when nothing was changed in routers.db.
Example from this morning:

Routers changed to up:
s3750-floor-b1.example.com:cisco

Added routers:
s3750-floor-b1.example.com:cisco

Deleted routers:
s3750-floor-b1.example.com:cisco

Obviously I obfuscated the actual domain. This appears in the log file:

starting: Fri Mar 21 05:00:01 EDT 2008

cvs add: s3750-floor-b1.example.com already exists, with version number 1.3
Added s3750-floor-b1.example.com

Any idea why this happens? Thanks.
--
Steve Snodgrass * ***@pheran.com * Network/Security/Linux/Perl Geek
"If you want to be somebody else, change your mind." -Sister Hazel
Justin Shore

john heasley
2008-03-22 17:29:54 UTC
This NEVER occurs for me on any of the 5 installations that I manage. But,
I never have CVS problems either. :)

control_rancid uses perl to create the router.{up,down,all} files from
router.db and then diffs them. Is it failing to rename router.*.new to
router.*? Do you have a script that is overwriting or removing them?
Sotiris Tsimbonis
2008-03-24 08:59:48 UTC
Post by Steve Snodgrass
I'm using 2.3.2a8 and sometimes it just randomly reports that routers
have been added/deleted, even when nothing was changed in routers.db.
s3750-floor-b1.example.com:cisco
s3750-floor-b1.example.com:cisco
s3750-floor-b1.example.com:cisco
starting: Fri Mar 21 05:00:01 EDT 2008
cvs add: s3750-floor-b1.example.com already exists, with version number 1.3
Added s3750-floor-b1.example.com
Any idea why this happens? Thanks.
It looks similar to this old case..
http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2005-November/001275.html

So try adding the following line at the end of router.db ..
FIX_DIFF_BUG:cisco:down

Sot.
Post by john heasley
Post by Steve Snodgrass
--
"If you want to be somebody else, change your mind." -Sister Hazel