[rancid] New device on .cloginrc
Wagner Pereira
2010-04-12 21:22:21 UTC
Hi, all.

What should I do after include a new device in the .cloginrc file?

I noticed after I did that, Rancid didn't create a new file in the
config directory.

Thanks for any help, as usual.

Hugs.
--
Wagner Pereira

PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presença da RNP em São Paulo
CCE/USP - Centro de Computação Eletrônica da Universidade de São Paulo
http://www.pop-sp.rnp.br
Tel. (11) 3091-8901
Ryan West
2010-04-12 21:24:37 UTC
2010-04-13 11:58:44 UTC
Hi, Ryan and Andrew.

You both were right. I just included one new line in my router.db file
and it is started to try diff it.

But, in my log I noticed the Rancid isn't able to get the configs:
"cannot open file 10.0.0.2 for comparing: Permission denied"
(This is not the real IP!)

There is Radius implemented in that device. Can it be the problem?

Hugs,

-ryan
Martin Barry
2010-04-13 12:05:35 UTC
$quoted_author = "Wagner Pereira" ;
Post by Wagner Pereira
"cannot open file 10.0.0.2 for comparing: Permission denied"
(This is not the real IP!)
This sounds like either a file or directory permission issue. What user is
rancid running as and do they have the appropriate permission in the working
directory?
Post by Wagner Pereira
There is Radius implemented in that device. Can it be the problem?
You can double check that by manually running clogin which will test logging
into the device.

cheers
Marty
Wagner Pereira
2010-04-13 13:33:43 UTC
Hi, Marty.

It sounds wrong, I suppose, because the Rancid is still running over
other device perfectly.

Then, I ran this:
----------------------
/home/rancid/bin/clogin 10.0.0.2
10.0.0.2
spawn telnet 10.0.0.2
Trying 10.0.0.2...
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l root 10.0.0.2
ssh_rsa_verify: RSA modulus too small: 512 < minimum 768 bits
key_verify failed for server_host_key

Error: Couldn't login: 10.0.0.2
----------------------

What does it mean?

Thanks.

Ryan West
2010-04-13 13:41:26 UTC
2010-04-13 19:46:57 UTC
Ryan,

You were right concerning to the rsa key.

I ran the "crypto key generate rsa" command in my Cisco router, choosing
1024 bits. It worked.

But now the error changed, as follows (it seems like the ssh connection
method was not tried):

---------------------
/home/rancid/bin/clogin 10.0.0.2
10.0.0.2
spawn telnet 10.0.0.2
Trying 10.0.0.2...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

Error: Couldn't login: 10.0.0.2
---------------------

What's next?

-ryan
Ryan West
2010-04-13 19:54:48 UTC
Command line check that you connect to that device using telnet or ssh. If you can't, fix that first. If you want to connect via SSH, then change your connection method in your .cloginrc file.

Wagner Pereira
2010-04-13 20:19:44 UTC
Ryan,

I changed this:
add method 10.0.0.2 {telnet} {ssh}

To this:
add method 10.0.0.2 {ssh} {telnet}

But now, the error has changed...(ok, if "Update the SSH known_hosts
file accordingly." is the answer, how can I do that?)

-----------------------
/home/rancid/bin/clogin 10.0.0.2
10.0.0.2
spawn telnet 10.0.0.2
Trying 10.0.0.2...
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l root 10.0.0.2
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
8f:23:61:b6:03:36:e0:7c:d2:e6:5c:0c:37:5d:c5:fe.
Add correct host key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:1
RSA host key for 10.0.0.2 has changed and you have requested strict
checking.
Host key verification failed.

Error: The host key for 10.0.0.2 has changed. Update the SSH

Mahaffey, Brian
2010-04-13 20:28:59 UTC
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Offending+key+in+%2Froot%2F.ssh%2Fknown_hosts

rm -rf /root/.ssh/known_hosts

[...]
Post by Ryan West
-ryan

This transmission is intended only for use by the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient you should not read, disclose copy, circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this transmission. The information contained in this transmission may be confidential and/or privileged. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission including any attachments.
Jethro R Binks
2010-04-13 20:43:48 UTC
Post by Mahaffey, Brian
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Offending+key+in+%2Froot%2F.ssh%2Fknown_hosts
rm -rf /root/.ssh/known_hosts
Which will blow away the cached keys of all the known hosts.

Probably better to edit that file, and selectively delete the entries for
10.0.0.2.

Jethro.
[...]
PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presen?a da RNP em S?o Paulo
CCE/USP - Centro de Computa??o Eletr?nica da Universidade de S?o Paulo
http://www.pop-sp.rnp.br
Tel. (11) 3091-8901
Post by Ryan West
-ryan
This transmission is intended only for use by the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient you should not read, disclose copy, circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this transmission. The information contained in this transmission may be confidential and/or privileged. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission including any attachments.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Wagner Pereira
2010-04-13 20:52:08 UTC
That's exactly what I did, Jethro.

My known_host file has only one entry and I deleted that one.

After then, he stopped to complain because this host key stuff.

Now there is other error, but it is due to wrong password, I'm not sure.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Hugs.

Ryan West
2010-04-13 21:05:45 UTC
2010-04-16 13:40:00 UTC
Ryan,

When I try to connect to my device using /home/rancid/bin/clogin, this
is what I get:

--------------------
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l root 10.0.0.2
***@10.0.0.2's password:
--------------------

But, there is no root user written in my .cloginrc file.

Where does this root user should come from?

Hugs,

-ryan
Drikus Brits
2010-04-16 13:46:26 UTC

The root user is most likely because clogin is being executed as the root user, ie: you're logged in as root when you try to clogin into your router.

Hope this helps,

Drikus.

-ryan
Wagner Pereira
2010-04-16 14:42:43 UTC
You're right, Drikus. I'm logged in as root user.

By the way, I noticed this comment in the .cloginrc file:

# add user <router name glob> <username>
# The default user is $USER (i.e.: the user running clogin).

Ok, so, I copied the .cloginrc file to /root directory. It still doesn't
work.

Error: TIMEOUT reached

Hugs,
--
Wagner Pereira

PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presença da RNP em São Paulo
CCE/USP - Centro de Computação Eletrônica da Universidade de São Paulo
http://www.pop-sp.rnp.br
Tel. (11) 3091-8901
Hi,
2010-04-16 14:58:00 UTC
But, the thing is:

In my first Cisco switch (already working) I logged in with the admin user.

But in the second one, which I still can't run Rancid OK, there is a
Radius AAA model implemented, which means: the authentication is not
local, but this device ask other server if the user is known.

I don't know what is the impact over Rancid when there is a Radius
running in the device.

Hugs,
--
Wagner Pereira

PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presença da RNP em São Paulo
CCE/USP - Centro de Computação Eletrônica da Universidade de São Paulo
http://www.pop-sp.rnp.br
Tel. (11) 3091-8901
Hi,
If you need to use a specific user to log into your routers you can add it as
<snip>
add user * wagner
</snip>
That should then tell clogin to always use the username wagner for any switch.
Regards,
Drikus
2010-04-16 15:13:37 UTC
There should be no impact. Your radius setup is queried in the same way that TACACS would be queried, as such it should be invisible to clogin as to what/who is doing the authentication.

So , when you change your .cloginrc file to the below :

add user * admin
add password * {whatever_the_password_is}

what do you get ?

Thus to recap.....

1. Make sure you are either user admin logged in on your system and then try to clogin
2. Set the user variable to "admin" in the .cloginrc file if you are another user.

Also, can you try a manual login and see what happens ?..eg telnet into the device/or ssh and see if it completes ?

d.

Hugs,
Drikus Brits

Hugs,
Mickael GARNIER
2010-04-16 14:09:28 UTC

do you have a 'add user' entry in your .cloginrc ?

it should be like :
add user <host> <user>
add password <host> <password> <enable-password>
add method <host> ssh

MG
Hi,
2010-04-16 20:44:46 UTC
Mickael,

Yes, my .cloginrc is exactly like the below (omitting all the real
values, obviously):

add password 10.0.0.2 {vty passwd} {enable passwd}
add user 10.0.0.2 user
add userprompt 10.0.0.2 {"Username:"}
add passprompt 10.0.0.2 {"Password:"}
add method 10.0.0.2 {ssh} {telnet}
add enableprompt 10.0.0.2 {"Password:"}
add cyphertype 10.0.0.2 {3des}

I already have another device rancid'ing perfectly, that means my
.cloginrc lines are correctly written, since I declared it at the same
way that the above.

Hugs,
--
Wagner Pereira

PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presença da RNP em São Paulo
CCE/USP - Centro de Computação Eletrônica da Universidade de São Paulo
http://www.pop-sp.rnp.br
Tel. (11) 3091-8901
Post by Mickael GARNIER
Hi,
do you have a 'add user' entry in your .cloginrc ?
add user<host> <user>
add password<host> <password> <enable-password>
add method<host> ssh
MG
Hi,
Remy Heiden
2010-06-02 00:02:44 UTC
Please check that the user and vty-password resemble the ones known to the
RADIUS server.

Regards,
Remy
Post by Wagner Pereira
Mickael,
Yes, my .cloginrc is exactly like the below (omitting all the real
add password 10.0.0.2 {vty passwd} {enable passwd}
add user 10.0.0.2 user
add userprompt 10.0.0.2 {"Username:"}
add passprompt 10.0.0.2 {"Password:"}
add method 10.0.0.2 {ssh} {telnet}
add enableprompt 10.0.0.2 {"Password:"}
add cyphertype 10.0.0.2 {3des}
I already have another device rancid'ing perfectly, that means my
.cloginrc lines are correctly written, since I declared it at the same
way that the above.
Hugs,
--
Wagner Pereira
PoP-SP/RNP - Ponto de Presença da RNP em São Paulo
CCE/USP - Centro de Computação Eletrônica da Universidade de São Paulo
http://www.pop-sp.rnp.br
Tel. (11) 3091-8901
Post by Mickael GARNIER
Hi,
do you have a 'add user' entry in your .cloginrc ?
add user<host> <user>
add password<host> <password> <enable-password>
add method<host> ssh
MG
Post by Drikus Brits
Hi,
The root user is most likely because clogin is being executed as the
root user, ie: you're logged in as root when you try to clogin into your
router.
Post by Mickael GARNIER
Post by Drikus Brits
Hope this helps,
Drikus.
Eric Cables

Post by Ryan West
RANCID connects to the device, but I think you would be off gen'ing a
new key
Post by Ryan West
on the device instead.
Post by Ryan West
-ryan
Ryan West
2010-04-13 12:07:39 UTC
Sounds like your confiig and/or cvs/svn directories are owned by
root. Did you ever go back and correct the permissions from your
install?

Sent from handheld.
Andrew Brennan
2010-04-12 21:24:40 UTC
You'll need to also add it to your router.db file(s). The .cloginrc is
only the credentials, address, etc. The actual connection is based on
what you have in your router.db file(s).

andrew.