[rancid] Permissions and files
Ryan Milton
2013-09-12 14:59:00 UTC
I don't know where to go on this. I can't tell if my Rancid configuration is even working. I'm at the point of testing rancid-run manually to see what happens. I am getting a combination of "Permission Denied" errors on the .cloginrc file, "End of Run Not found" errors, and some others that I excerpted below. That said, I have an example of the file in /var/log/rancid from today and from Friday:

sudo -i su -c /var/lib/rancid/bin/rancid-run -s /bin/bash -l rancid

gets me:

starting: Thu Sep 12 10:53:28 EDT 2013

ending: Thu Sep 12 10:53:28 EDT 2013

VS:

starting: Fri Sep 6 15:57:50 EDT 2013

/usr/lib/rancid/bin/control_rancid: 206: /usr/lib/rancid/bin/control_rancid: cannot create routers.db: Permission denied
comm: file 2 is not in sorted order
comm: file 2 is not in sorted order
comm: file 2 is not in sorted order
cvs add: scheduling file `94.229.11.1' for addition
cvs add: use `cvs commit' to add this file permanently
/var/lib/rancid/CVS/MVSNetwork/configs/94.229.11.1,v <-- 94.229.11.1
initial revision: 1.1
Added 94.229.11.1
cvs add: scheduling file `94.229.11.2' for addition
cvs add: use `cvs commit' to add this file permanently
/var/lib/rancid/CVS/MVSNetwork/configs/94.229.11.2,v <-- 94.229.11.2
initial revision: 1.1
Added 94.229.11.2
cvs add: scheduling file `94.229.11.3' for addition
cvs add: use `cvs commit' to add this file permanently
/var/lib/rancid/CVS/MVSNetwork/configs/94.229.11.3,v <-- 94.229.11.3
initial revision: 1.1
Added 94.229.11.3

***TRUNCATED***

94.229.11.2 jlogin error: Error: couldn't read file "/home/rancid/.cloginrc": permission denied
94.229.11.2: missed cmd(s): show chassis alarms,show chassis hardware detail,show system license,show chassis scb,show chassis feb,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis firmware,show version detail,show chassis feb detail,show configuration,show system boot-messages,show chassis cfeb,show chassis clocks,show chassis sfm detail,show chassis ssb,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis environment,show system core-dumps
94.229.11.2: End of run not found
94.229.11.3 jlogin error: Error: couldn't read file "/home/rancid/.cloginrc": permission denied
94.229.11.3: missed cmd(s): show chassis alarms,show chassis hardware detail,show system license,show chassis scb,show chassis feb,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis firmware,show version detail,show chassis feb detail,show configuration,show system boot-messages,show chassis cfeb,show chassis clocks,show chassis sfm detail,show chassis ssb,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis environment,show system core-dumps
94.229.11.3: End of run not found
94.229.11.1 jlogin error: Error: couldn't read file "/home/rancid/.cloginrc": permission denied

***TRUNCATED***

94.229.14.250: missed cmd(s): show stack,show module,show flash,show version,show system-information,write term,show system information
94.229.14.250: End of run not found
;
unknown router manufacturer for 94.229.11.218: junper
94.229.11.92 clogin error: Error: couldn't read file "/home/rancid/.cloginrc": permission denied

***TRUNCATED***

94.229.11.210: missed cmd(s): show chassis alarms,show chassis hardware detail,show system license,show chassis scb,show chassis feb,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis firmware,show version detail,show chassis feb detail,show configuration,show system boot-messages,show chassis cfeb,show chassis clocks,show chassis sfm detail,show chassis ssb,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis environment,show system core-dumps
94.229.11.210: End of run not found

Regards,
Ryan Milton
MVS Network Manager
o: 201-447-1505 x124
c: 862-249-5230
www.mvsusa.com<http://www.mvsusa.com/>
[MVS final logo GOOD very small]
Tom Simpson
2013-09-12 15:38:49 UTC
Ryan Milton
2013-09-12 15:51:36 UTC
Well, I was attempting to run as rancid. I don't know how it would run "normally".

Here is what I show:

-rwxr-x--- 1 rancid rancid 1946 Sep 6 15:57 .cloginrc

I think that is chmod 750 .cloginrc (now). Would I make it something different?

From: Ryan Milton <***@mvsusa.com<mailto:***@mvsusa.com>>
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:59 AM
To: "rancid-***@shrubbery.net<mailto:rancid-***@shrubbery.net>" <rancid-***@shrubbery.net<mailto:rancid-***@shrubbery.net>>
Subject: [rancid] Permissions and files

[cid:***@01CEAFAE.6DA34530]
[...]

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.

Forcht Group IT, 2400 South Main Street, Corbin, Ky.
Hinote, Scotty (MSFC-IS40)[NICS]
2013-09-12 16:44:28 UTC
Hi Ryan,

You should have permissions set to 600 on .cloginrc.

Regards,
Scotty

From: Ryan Milton <***@mvsusa.com<mailto:***@mvsusa.com>>
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:59 AM
To: "rancid-***@shrubbery.net<mailto:rancid-***@shrubbery.net>" <rancid-***@shrubbery.net<mailto:rancid-***@shrubbery.net>>

[cid:***@01CEAFAD.701BB4B0]

Ryan Milton
2013-09-12 16:58:10 UTC
Just for clarity (and thanks for the assistance) what should be the permissions on the directories in /var/lib/rancid where the routers.db reside? The same 600?

From: Ryan Milton <***@mvsusa.com<mailto:***@mvsusa.com>>
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:59 AM
To: "rancid-***@shrubbery.net<mailto:rancid-***@shrubbery.net>" <rancid-***@shrubbery.net<mailto:rancid-***@shrubbery.net>>

[cid:***@01CEAFB7.BA188C50]

Aaron Dudek
2013-09-12 17:31:53 UTC
that isn't your problem
Post by Ryan Milton
Just for clarity (and thanks for the assistance) what should be the
permissions on the directories in /var/lib/rancid where the routers.db
reside? The same 600?****
** **
Regards,****
Ryan Milton****
MVS Network Manager****
o: 201-447-1505 x124****
c: 862-249-5230****
www.mvsusa.com****

The .cloginrc doesn't have the proper permissions set for the rancid user.
Or are you running it as someone else?****
** **
** **
Mine is****
** **
-rw-rw----. 2 apache rancid 4429 Aug 27 10:12 .cloginrc****
** **
** **
I tend to login as the rancid user, sudo su – rancid for testing
purposes, since I disallow ssh login to the server for any user except
normal users…****
** **
** **
** **
-- ****
Thanks,****
** **
Tom Simpson****
LAN/WAN Engineer****
Forcht Group of Kentucky****
859.259.9700 x538****
** **
*
*Date: *Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:59 AM
** **
****
;****
------------------------------
Heasley
2013-09-12 17:39:49 UTC
<image001.gif>
sudo -i su -c /var/lib/rancid/bin/rancid-run -s /bin/bash -l rancid
starting: Thu Sep 12 10:53:28 EDT 2013
ending: Thu Sep 12 10:53:28 EDT 2013
starting: Fri Sep 6 15:57:50 EDT 2013
/usr/lib/rancid/bin/control_rancid: 206: /usr/lib/rancid/bin/control_rancid: cannot create routers.db: Permission denied
Fix that. chown -R rancid /var/rancid
[...]
<image004.jpg>
Ryan Milton
2013-09-12 17:48:28 UTC
Ok, I have changed the ownership. I made a test config change on a device, ran rancid and exactly the same as:
sudo -i su -c /var/lib/rancid/bin/rancid-run -s /bin/bash -l rancid

gets me:

starting: Thu Sep 12 10:53:28 EDT 2013

ending: Thu Sep 12 10:53:28 EDT 2013

So, the config change doesn’t show.

Aaron Dudek
Ryan Milton
2013-09-12 18:47:15 UTC
Ok, so since I'm following various guides (mostly the "Ubuntu server install), I am assuming that the command is /usr/bin/rancid-run.

***@ObserviumNYC:/var/log/rancid$ vi MVSNetwork.20130912.144417
gives me:
starting: Thu Sep 12 14:44:17 EDT 2013

ending: Thu Sep 12 14:44:17 EDT 2013

/var/lib/rancid/CVS/MVSNetwork/configs/94.229.11.1<http://94.229.11.1>,v <-- 94.229.11.1

/var/lib/rancid/CVS/MVSNetwork/configs/94.229.11.2<http://94.229.11.2>,v <-- 94.229.11.2

/var/lib/rancid/CVS/MVSNetwork/configs/94.229.11.3<http://94.229.11.3>,v <-- 94.229.11.3

94.229.11.2<http://94.229.11.2>: missed cmd(s): show chassis alarms,show chassis hardware detail,show system license,show chassis scb,show chassis feb,show chassis routing-engine,show chassis firmware,show version detail,show chassis feb detail,show configuration,show system boot-messages,show chassis cfeb,show chassis clocks,show chassis sfm detail,show chassis ssb,show chassis fpc detail,show chassis environment,show system core-dumps

94.229.11.2<http://94.229.11.2>: End of run not found

94.229.11.3 jlogin error: Error: couldn't read file "/home/rancid/.cloginrc": permission denied<
Aaron Dudek
2013-09-12 18:51:30 UTC
Not what I meant.
su - rancid
then do
pwd
then
/var/lib/rancid/bin/rancid-run

Where did "/usr/bin/rancid-run" come from? Because that is different then
what you were trying to run before.
Ryan Milton
2013-09-12 18:58:09 UTC
Ok,
I got you. Seems everything in /var/lib/rancid/bin is root:

***@ObserviumNYC:/var/log/rancid$ cd /var/lib/rancid/bin/
***@ObserviumNYC:/var/lib/rancid/bin$ ls -lt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 67004 Mar 5 2012 rancid
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4420 Mar 5 2012 rancid-cvs

Aaron Dudek
2013-09-12 19:15:20 UTC
Ryan Milton
2013-09-12 19:32:14 UTC
OK, so now those permissions are fixed, I assume. That said, I still get nothing in that file when I just "rancid-run".

Regards,
Ryan Milton
MVS Network Manager
o: 201-447-1505 x124
c: 862-249-5230
www.mvsusa.com<http://www.mvsusa.com/>
[MVS final logo GOOD very small]

If you SSH from your rancid server to the device that you are trying to backup as the rancid user that you have configured and execute a show running-config, do you receive any errors?

2013-09-12 20:35:38 UTC
Well, here is what I get, I am assuming its due to the fact that my equipment is Juniper:

***@ObserviumNYC:/var/lib/rancid$ /usr/lib/rancid/bin/clogin -f /var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc 94.XXX.11.1
94.XXX.11.1
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l ryan 94.XXX.11.1
***@94.229.11.1's password:
--- JUNOS 9.3R4.4 built 2009-08-12 04:44:38 UTC
***@core1.ams1> enable
^
unknown command.

***@core1.ams1>
Error: TIMEOUT reached
can not find channel named "exp6"
while executing
"send "\r""
("foreach" body line 167)
invoked from within
"foreach router [lrange $argv $i end] {
set router [string tolower $router]
# attempt at platform switching.
set platform ""
send_user ..."
(file "/usr/lib/rancid/bin/clogin" line 778)

Regards,
Ryan Milton
MVS Network Manager
o: 201-447-1505 x124
c: 862-249-5230
www.mvsusa.com<http://www.mvsusa.com/>
[MVS final logo GOOD very small]

If you SSH from your rancid server to the device that you are trying to backup as the rancid user that you have configured and execute a show running-config, do you receive any errors?

You should use the jlogin script for Juniper devices /usr/lib/rancid/bin/jlogin -f /var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc X.X.X.X.

Well, here is what I get, I am assuming its due to the fact that my equipment is Juniper:

***@ObserviumNYC:/var/lib/rancid$ /usr/lib/rancid/bin/clogin -f /var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc 94.XXX.11.1
94.XXX.11.1
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l ryan 94.XXX.11.1
***@94.229.11.1's<mailto:***@94.229.11.1's> password:
--- JUNOS 9.3R4.4 built 2009-08-12 04:44:38 UTC
***@core1.ams1<mailto:***@core1.ams1>> enable
^
unknown command.

[...]

Ahhhhh! Ok now if I am a multi-vendor operation, some Juniper, some HP, Netscreen, Cisco, etc, how do I set so that the correct script runs for various device types? And would that be set in the chronjob the same way?

Regards,
Ryan Milton
MVS Network Manager
o: 201-447-1505 x124
c: 862-249-5230
www.mvsusa.com<http://www.mvsusa.com/>
[MVS final logo GOOD very small]

You should use the jlogin script for Juniper devices /usr/lib/rancid/bin/jlogin -f /var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc X.X.X.X.

If you SSH from your rancid server to the device that you are trying to backup as the rancid user that you have configured and execute a show running-config, do you receive any errors?

In your rancid router.db file that lists the devices you list the device type

e.g.

sw1:cisco:up
sw2:juniper:up
sw3:force10:up
sw4:hp:up

etc.

You should use the jlogin script for Juniper devices /usr/lib/rancid/bin/jlogin -f /var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc X.X.X.X.

If you SSH from your rancid server to the device that you are trying to backup as the rancid user that you have configured and execute a show running-config, do you receive any errors?

And rancid-fe in the bin directory shows the device types.

2013-09-12 23:23:42 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
wrote:<br>
cite="mid:***@BN1PR01MB119.prod.exchangelabs.com"
type="cite">
charset=ISO-8859-1">
medium)">
<!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:"Cambria Math";
panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Verdana;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Tahoma;
panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;}
{mso-style-priority:99;
mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0in;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
pre
{mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Courier New";}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
{mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:8.0pt;
font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.BalloonTextChar
{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";}
span.EmailStyle20
{mso-style-type:personal;
color:black;}
span.EmailStyle21
{mso-style-type:personal;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle22
{mso-style-type:personal;
color:black;}
span.EmailStyle23
{mso-style-type:personal;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle24
{mso-style-type:personal;
color:black;}
span.EmailStyle25
{mso-style-type:personal;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle26
{mso-style-type:personal;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D;}
span.EmailStyle27
{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
color:black;}
span.HTMLPreformattedChar
{mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
font-family:"Courier New";}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
running rancid-run gives me simply those devices listed the
exact same way, but as &#8220;devices added&#8221;.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
...<br>
If you are seeing the devices added message every time you run
rancid even though you didn't change anything, you either have a
permission problem or cvs/svn is barfing on the commit commands<br>

Hinote, Scotty (MSFC-IS40)[NICS]
2013-09-12 20:50:21 UTC
The vendor type is set in your router.db files. You specify your device then the type and finally a status of up or down eg. X.X.X.X:juniper:up or X.X.X.X:cisco:up. The supported device types are in the rancid-fe file which states the device type and what files are used to access the device.

List
--
%vendortable = (
'agm' => 'agmrancid',
'alteon' => 'arancid',
'arista' => 'arrancid',
'avocent' => 'avorancid',
'baynet' => 'brancid',
'cat5' => 'cat5rancid',
'cisco' => 'rancid',
'cisco-nx' => 'nxrancid',
'cisco-xr' => 'xrrancid',
'css' => 'cssrancid',
'enterasys' => 'rivrancid',
'erx' => 'jerancid',
'extreme' => 'xrancid',
'ezt3' => 'erancid',
'f5' => 'f5rancid',
'force10' => 'f10rancid',
'fortigate' => 'fnrancid',
'foundry' => 'francid',
'hitachi' => 'htrancid',
'hp' => 'hrancid',
'juniper' => 'jrancid',
'mrtd' => 'mrancid',
'mrv' => 'mrvrancid',
'netopia' => 'trancid',
'netscaler' => 'nsrancid',
'netscreen' => 'nrancid',
'procket' => 'prancid',
'redback' => 'rrancid',
'riverstone' => 'rivrancid',
'smc' => 'srancid',
'tnt' => 'tntrancid',
'zebra' => 'zrancid'
);

You should use the jlogin script for Juniper devices /usr/lib/rancid/bin/jlogin -f /var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc X.X.X.X.

If you SSH from your rancid server to the device that you are trying to backup as the rancid user that you have configured and execute a show running-config, do you receive any errors?

You are using the incorrect script for Juniper devices
you want jrancid/jlogin
Post by Ryan Milton
Well, here is what I get, I am assuming its due to the fact that my
equipment is Juniper:****
** **
/var/lib/rancid/.cloginrc 94.XXX.11.1****
94.XXX.11.1****
[...]