[rancid] bypassing splash screen on HP ProCurve 3500
David Newman
2008-12-05 05:25:40 UTC
Running Rancid 2.3.1_3 on FreeBSD 7 from ports, and having difficulty
grabbing configs from an HP ProCurve 3500yl switch because of the splash
screen the switch displays at login.

I've pasted below the switch info from .cloginrc.

Is there a workaround to get beyond the switch's initial splash screen?

thanks

dn

# hp3500.inf
add user 1.2.3.4 admin
add password 1.2.3.4 secret123password
add autoenable 1.2.3.4 1
add method 1.2.3.4 ssh
john heasley
2008-12-05 17:45:41 UTC
Post by David Newman
Running Rancid 2.3.1_3 on FreeBSD 7 from ports, and having difficulty
grabbing configs from an HP ProCurve 3500yl switch because of the splash
screen the switch displays at login.
I've pasted below the switch info from .cloginrc.
Is there a workaround to get beyond the switch's initial splash screen?
What is the splash screen? my hp2524 has one, but hrancid passes it just
fine. I presume you've defined it as device type 'hp' in router.db.
David Newman
2008-12-05 19:28:20 UTC
Post by john heasley
Post by David Newman
Running Rancid 2.3.1_3 on FreeBSD 7 from ports, and having difficulty
grabbing configs from an HP ProCurve 3500yl switch because of the splash
screen the switch displays at login.
I've pasted below the switch info from .cloginrc.
Is there a workaround to get beyond the switch's initial splash screen?
What is the splash screen? my hp2524 has one, but hrancid passes it just
fine.
$ ssh -l admin hp3500-1-2-3-4

ProCurve J8693A Switch 3500yl-48G
Software revision K.13.25

Copyright (C) 1991-2008 Hewlett-Packard Co. All Rights Reserved.

RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to
restrictions
as set forth in subdivision (b) (3) (ii) of the Rights in Technical
Data and
Computer Software clause at 52.227-7013.

HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY, 3000 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94303

Press any key to continue
Post by john heasley
I presume you've defined it as device type 'hp' in router.db.
Yes.

rancid-run completes, but with a zero-length config file for this switch.

Do you have that 'Press any key to continue' bit on your 2524?

thanks

dn
David Newman
2008-12-09 15:50:49 UTC
Post by john heasley
Post by David Newman
Running Rancid 2.3.1_3 on FreeBSD 7 from ports, and having difficulty
grabbing configs from an HP ProCurve 3500yl switch because of the splash
screen the switch displays at login.
I've pasted below the switch info from .cloginrc.
Is there a workaround to get beyond the switch's initial splash screen?
What is the splash screen? my hp2524 has one, but hrancid passes it just
fine.
Still stuck on this. Running "clogin -c 'show run' 1.2.3.4" hangs at the
splash screen (output below).

Thanks in advance for any clues on getting beyond that point.

dn

$ clogin -c 'show run' 1.2.3.4

Press any key to continue
Arne Svennevik
2008-12-10 11:30:38 UTC
First, I'd try with hlogin instead of clogin (since it's a HP). We have
several types of HP switches, all with the mentioned splash screen, and
rancid pulls configs just fine. We use 'hp' as device type in router.db and
the following authentication info:
add password xx.xx.xx.xx {password}
add method xx.xx.xx.xx telnet
add autoenable xx.xx.xx.xx 1

Regards,
Arne Svennevik

Press any key to continue
Kemp, Larry
2008-12-10 14:08:49 UTC
Rancid Community,

I thought I would open this up to rancid-discuss before opening a tickets with Adtran, Fujitsu and Allied Telesis.

We have the following equipment:

1. Adtran:

a. OPTI-MX

b. OPTI-SMX

c. TA3000

d.

2. Fujitsu:

a. Flashwave 4500

b. 7420

3. Allied Telesis

a. CV5000

Each time a user makes any change to the config, each device is set to FTP or TFTP a .BIN file to the FTP/TFTP server we previously setup. I would instead love to be able to use Rancid to go and grab these

"devicename-or-ip-address.BIN" files from these networking devices. I would also like to see the conf diffs reported to us via email same way we currently enjoy seeing for all of our Cisco gear (which always still tickles me).

I have Rancid currently running every 6 hours logging into every Cisco devices we have and would like to use Rancid for everything. This may not even be a possibility but I thought I would toss it out to the group before making inquiries to the manufacturers. Each would love to see you their proprietary element manager and a per-device-licensing scheme I am sure; but there will be none of that. :)

Our Rancid System

Rancid: 2.3.2a2

OS: Cent OS 5.2

Perl: 5.8.8

Expect: 5.43.0

Thanks in advance if anyone has any experience or better yet success in trying to do this with these specific devices! And thanks for all the great support so far too!!!

Larry Kemp

Network Engineer

Bonita Springs FL USA
David Newman
2008-12-10 19:15:00 UTC
Post by Arne Svennevik
First, I'd try with hlogin instead of clogin (since it's a HP). We have
several types of HP switches, all with the mentioned splash screen, and
rancid pulls configs just fine. We use 'hp' as device type in router.db and
add password xx.xx.xx.xx {password}
add method xx.xx.xx.xx telnet
add autoenable xx.xx.xx.xx 1
Thanks. You're using telnet, and I had ssh. Just tried with telnet
re-enabled on the switch and that works, including getting past the
splash screen.

hlogin isn't working with ssh, though:

$ /usr/local/libexec/rancid/hlogin 1.2.3.4
spawn hpuifilter -- 'ssh -c 3des -x -l admin' 1.2.3.4

Error: Couldn't login

But manually executing 'ssh -c 3des -x -l admin 1.2.3.4' works OK.

Rancid and ssh work with Cisco boxes here; am I missing something in the
ssh setup for hp?

Also, FWIW the rancid logs report a clogin error for the HP switch:

1.2.3.4 clogin error: Error: Couldn't login

even though it's defined as an HP box in router.db:

1.2.3.4:hp:up

What am I missing?

thanks

dn
Jon Peatfield
2008-12-15 20:20:38 UTC
Post by David Newman
Post by Arne Svennevik
[...]
The following seems to work for me - against a variety of HP procurve
switches though I don't actually have any 3500 boxes atm...

# data (and voip) core switches are HP procurve 5400z series
add password bl08-\[dv\]core1.private {xxxxxxx} {xxxxxxx}
add user bl08-\[dv\]core1.private {manager}
add autoenable bl08-\[dv\]core1.private {1}
add method bl08-\[dv\]core1.private ssh

$ hlogin bl08-vcore1.private
bl08-vcore1.private
spawn hpuifilter -- ssh -c 3des -x -l manager bl08-vcore1.private
bl08-vcore1 (hp 5406zl), CMS voice core switch
***@bl08-vcore1.private's password:
ProCurve J8697A Switch 5406zl
Software revision K.13.09

Press any key to continuebl08-vcore1#
bl08-vcore1# logo
Do you want to log out [y/n]? y
Connection to bl08-vcore1.private closed.

that is with rancid-2.3.2a8 with a patch (from Richard Golier) to collect
info with the right commands for the 'newer' versions of the HP firmware.

I suppose that at some point I ought to check if rancid-2.3.2a9 already
includes that hp fix...

-- Jon
David Newman
2008-12-16 06:01:36 UTC
Post by Jon Peatfield
that is with rancid-2.3.2a8 with a patch (from Richard Golier) to
collect info with the right commands for the 'newer' versions of the HP
firmware.
I suppose that at some point I ought to check if rancid-2.3.2a9 already
includes that hp fix...
That might be the problem. I'm running 2.3.1_3 from FreeBSD ports.

Later in the week when I have more free cycles I will try again with
2.3.2aX...

thanks

dn
Jon Peatfield