[rancid] Setup issue
Michael T. Voity
2014-05-02 19:11:12 UTC
Hello,

I'm new to the RANCID realm. Before posting to this list I have done
my research and cannot quite seem to get the right answer to my issue.

I'm trying to get RANCID to work with my Cisco ASR9001 which has ios-xr -

In the log file i get these messages -

Trying to get all of the configs.
swick-uvm-gw2: missed cmd(s): dir /all disk1a:,admin show diag,dir /all
slavedisk2:,dir /all sec-slot2:,dir /all disk1:,dir /all sec-nvram:,dir
/all disk2:,dir /all sec-bootflash:,dir /all slaveslot2:,dir /all
disk0:,dir /all compactflasha:,dir /all slaveslot0:,dir /all
sec-slot1:,dir /all harddiska:,dir /all slavenvram:,dir /all
sec-disk2:,dir /all sec-disk0:,dir /all harddiskb:,dir /all
slavedisk1:,show controllers,show rpl maximum,dir /all slavedisk0:,show
debug,dir /all bootflash:,dir /all sec-slot0:,dir /all sec-disk1:,dir
/all disk0a:,dir /all slot2:,dir /all compactflash:,dir /all
harddisk:,dir /all slot0:,admin show running,show vlan,dir /all
slavebootflash:,dir /all slaveslot1:,dir /all nvram:,admin show
inventory raw,show running-config,dir /all slot1:
swick-uvm-gw2: End of run not found
!
watt-uvm-gw3: missed cmd(s): dir /all disk1a:,admin show diag,dir /all
slavedisk2:,dir /all sec-slot2:,dir /all disk1:,dir /all sec-nvram:,dir
/all disk2:,dir /all sec-bootflash:,dir /all slaveslot2:,dir /all
disk0:,dir /all compactflasha:,dir /all slaveslot0:,dir /all
sec-slot1:,dir /all harddiska:,dir /all slavenvram:,dir /all
sec-disk2:,dir /all sec-disk0:,dir /all harddiskb:,dir /all
slavedisk1:,show controllers,show rpl maximum,dir /all slavedisk0:,show
debug,dir /all bootflash:,dir /all sec-slot0:,dir /all sec-disk1:,dir
/all disk0a:,dir /all slot2:,dir /all compactflash:,dir /all
harddisk:,dir /all slot0:,admin show running,show vlan,dir /all
slavebootflash:,dir /all slaveslot1:,dir /all nvram:,admin show
inventory raw,show running-config,dir /all slot1:
watt-uvm-gw3: End of run not found
!

When i switch it from ios-xr to ios in the router.db file, it works, but
every time I run the rancid-run it gives me a huge diff of the ios-xr
routers.

I have also un-commented NOPIPE=YES; export NOPIPE

I have setup my ios-xr routers in a separate group.

Still no dice.

I have a separate group for my ios devices that is working fine.

ideas?

-Mike
--
Michael T. Voity
Network Engineer
University of Vermont
Alan McKinnon
2014-05-03 06:43:47 UTC
That's the standard log message you posted; for debugging purposes it's
not especially useful. It's telling you that stuff didn't work and then
lists all the stuff that didn't work. It doesn't indicate why.

Run the parser script directly in debug mode to find out what's really
going on.

xrrancid -d <hostname>

This might not give you the real failure yet, but it will narrow it down
to which area the problem happens in.
***@gmail.com
Michael T. Voity
2014-05-03 11:45:40 UTC
Alan,

I ran the xrancid and was given this -

[***@netwatch bin]$ ./xrancid -d watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu
executing clogin -t 90 -c "show version;show memory;show diag;show
switch;show slot;show configuration detail;show configuration"
watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu
sh: clogin: command not found
watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu: missed cmd(s): all commands
watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu: End of run not found
watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu: End of run not found

Then I ran just -

./clogin -t 90 -c "show version;show memory;show diag;show switch;show
slot;show configuration detail;show configuration"
watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu

And determined that- show switch;show slot;show configuration
detail;show configuration did not run.

Ideas?

-Mike

Michael T. Voity
Network Engineer
University of Vermont
-Mike
heasley
2014-05-03 14:44:03 UTC
Post by Michael T. Voity
Alan,
I ran the xrancid and was given this -
sorry, i didnt notice this detail in Alan's mail; xrrancid does not exist
enymore in 3.0. run rancid -t cisco-xr -d watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu

clogin -c "`rancid -C -t cisco-xr`" watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu
Michael T. Voity
2014-05-03 15:50:08 UTC
Looks like rancid can't find clogin when in cisco-xr mode -

Which file(s) do i need to mod to make it work?

[***@netwatch bin]$ ./rancid -t cisco-xr -d watt-uvm-gw3-200.3.uvm.edu
loadtype: device type cisco-xr
loadtype: found device type cisco-xr in
/usr/local/rancid/etc/rancid.types.base
executing clogin -t 90 -c"terminal no-timestamp;terminal exec prompt
no-timestamp;admin show version;admin show install summary;admin show
license;admin show variables boot;show redundancy secondary;show install
active;admin show env all;dir /all nvram:;dir /all bootflash:;dir /all
compactflash:;dir /all compactflasha:;dir /all slot0:;dir /all
disk0:;dir /all disk0a:;dir /all slot1:;dir /all disk1:;dir /all
disk1a:;dir /all slot2:;dir /all disk2:;dir /all harddisk:;dir /all
harddiska:;dir /all harddiskb:;dir /all slavenvram:;dir /all
slavebootflash:;dir /all slaveslot0:;dir /all slavedisk0:;dir /all
slaveslot1:;dir /all slavedisk1:;dir /all slaveslot2:;dir /all
slavedisk2:;dir /all sec-nvram:;dir /all sec-bootflash:;dir /all
sec-slot0:;dir /all sec-disk0:;dir /all sec-slot1:;dir /all
sec-disk1:;dir /all sec-slot2:;dir /all sec-disk2:;show
controllers;admin show diag;admin show inventory raw;show vlan;show
debug;show rpl maximum;admin show running;show running-config"

heasley
2014-05-03 16:16:11 UTC
Post by Michael T. Voity
Looks like rancid can't find clogin when in cisco-xr mode -
Which file(s) do i need to mod to make it work?
PATH is set in rancid.conf, so it will find it when run from cron. add
the dir to your path or ". rancid.conf"
Alan McKinnon
2014-05-04 20:12:59 UTC
Hi Michael,

By themselves those errors are not harmful (rancid can deal with them).
To show why, I need to backtrack a bit and explain how the code is
organised. This applies to 2.3.x I haven't read 3.0 enough to comment much.

A text dump of a login session running commands show the structure:
a text prompt, followed by the prompt character (> or #) then the
command run, a newline, followed by the command output. Repeat for all
commands. Finally, and exit, quit or similar command and the end of the
text.

The rancid script starts by skipping over everything from the beginning
till it finds the defined prompt character. It records that text as the
separator between the end of one command and the start of the next. The
command run is immediately after on the same line which it looks up in
@command and the value of that key is the sub to pass the text to. The
script passes all text it finds to the sub until it hits the next
prompt; and the cycle repeats.

Two things can go wrong here:
- A peculiar prompt that confuses the script[1]
- the sub is in a while or other loop when that command output ends,
without this the code that detects the prompt does not run when it must.
The rule is that the command subs must be running their top-level code
when the command exits.

My first guess is that the command before those that didn't run is not
exiting cleanly. Run this:

clogin -t 90 -c "show version;show memory;show diag"

and look for oddities in the output.

Ordinarily a failed command is not a problem. The script looks for error
messages and if it finds say "command not authorized" it simply skips
over it and continues with the next one.

[1]As an example I had a weird bug once with Cisco that didn;t run
classic IOS. A command "show admin "something-or-other" didn't have a
trailing newline in the output; all other commands were correct. My
solution is to comment that command out - for me the output isn't
especially useful in any way.
***@gmail.com
Michael T. Voity
2014-05-05 17:47:53 UTC
Alan,

I got things working for my cisco-xr devices with RANCID. I did a
bunch of debugging and tweaking to get it all dialed in.

OS level I did this globally -

export NOPIPE=YES
export PATH $PATH:/usr/local/rancid/bin

I determined that things were timing out when it would run the command
'admin show env all' and then fail the rest of the command.

I then commented out 'cisco-xr;command;iosxr::ShowEnv;admin show env
all' in '/usr/local/rancid/etc/rancid.types.base'

Once this was commented out, all is well and it works perfect!

Thank you to Alan and Heasley for all your guidance in getting this fixed!

-Mike

Michael T. Voity
Network Engineer
University of Vermont