[rancid] Restore fortinet backups
Hugo Deprez
2012-07-24 10:27:10 UTC
Hello,

I am using to backup some fortinet firewall (300A). Everything seems going good.
Now I would like to restore a backup from rancid.

I used the shortcut on the web interface in order to restore the
config file with the content of the rancid backups.
The unit is still saying "error of configuration file".

Does anyone already restore a backup for a fortigate unit ?

Regards,

Hugo
Tyler J. Wagner
2012-07-24 10:47:52 UTC
Try using the USB restore method.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57493012/61/Backup-and-Restore-from-a-USB-key

Regards,
Tyler
Post by Hugo Deprez
Hello,
I am using to backup some fortinet firewall (300A). Everything seems going good.
Now I would like to restore a backup from rancid.
I used the shortcut on the web interface in order to restore the
config file with the content of the rancid backups.
The unit is still saying "error of configuration file".
Does anyone already restore a backup for a fortigate unit ?
Regards,
Hugo
Before emailing me, please watch "Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me":

Hugo Deprez
2012-07-24 13:35:34 UTC
Hello,

I found something :

the original conf file from rancid is not working, but when I added
the following header in the config File it does work :

#config-version=FG300A-4.00-FW-build513-120130:opmode=0:vdom=0:user=USER
#conf_file_ver=8207861108533980666
#buildno=0513
#global_vdom=1

This header is coming from an export of the config from the fortigate
web interface.

Any idea ?

Regards,
Boll, Michael
2012-07-24 13:48:28 UTC
I noticed this on the newer versions of the firmware too. The show
full-config command no longer displays the header info you need. It
appears Fortinet made this change with release 4 of the firmware. If
anyone knows a fix for this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Johan Ryberg

Hugo Deprez
2012-07-24 15:40:21 UTC
Yes I am running fortigate os 4

On Rancid the header is like :
!RANCID-CONTENT-TYPE: fortigate

!Version: Fortigate-300A v4.0,build0513,120130 (MR3 Patch 5)
!Serial-Number: FG300A*********
!BIOS version: 03006001
!Log hard disk: Available
!Hostname: hostname
!Operation Mode: NAT
!Current virtual domain: root
!Max number of virtual domains: 10
!Virtual domains status: 1 in NAT mode, 0 in TP mode
!Virtual domain configuration: disable
!FIPS-CC mode: disable
!Current HA mode: standalone
!Branch point: 513
!Release Version Information: MR3 Patch 5
!System time: Mon Jul 23 07:00:25 2012

By the way System time in the header is causing a new revision each
time the fortigate is backup by rancid.
Post by Johan Ryberg
Do you have that header at all from the backup from rancid?
-- Johan
Hello,
heasley
2012-07-24 16:10:20 UTC
Post by Hugo Deprez
Yes I am running fortigate os 4
!RANCID-CONTENT-TYPE: fortigate
!Version: Fortigate-300A v4.0,build0513,120130 (MR3 Patch 5)
!Serial-Number: FG300A*********
!BIOS version: 03006001
!Log hard disk: Available
!Hostname: hostname
!Operation Mode: NAT
!Current virtual domain: root
!Max number of virtual domains: 10
!Virtual domains status: 1 in NAT mode, 0 in TP mode
!Virtual domain configuration: disable
!FIPS-CC mode: disable
!Current HA mode: standalone
!Branch point: 513
!Release Version Information: MR3 Patch 5
!System time: Mon Jul 23 07:00:25 2012
By the way System time in the header is causing a new revision each
time the fortigate is backup by rancid.
rancid 2.3.7 should have the filter for that.
Post by Hugo Deprez
Post by Johan Ryberg
Do you have that header at all from the backup from rancid?
-- Johan
Hello,
Hugo Deprez