[rancid] Nortel switches
Paweł Rzepa
2014-01-23 13:26:51 UTC

I use rancid to gather config from Nortel switches. Every time I run
'show run' command I get different output for passwords, even if the
real user password hasn't been changed:
show run:
access user user-password "encoded-password"

second execution of show run
access user user-password "same-password-encoded-in-different-way"

Obviously rancid/cvs treats it as a config change. I don't want to
filter out encoded password.

Is there any way to keep the changes saved in cvs but not to generate
a new version in cvs subsystem for this change and not to send emails
(the latter is probably the implication of the former)?

Regards,
Pawel
Alan McKinnon
2014-01-23 15:55:58 UTC
Post by Paweł Rzepa
Hi,
I use rancid to gather config from Nortel switches. Every time I run
'show run' command I get different output for passwords, even if the
access user user-password "encoded-password"
second execution of show run
access user user-password "same-password-encoded-in-different-way"
Obviously rancid/cvs treats it as a config change. I don't want to
filter out encoded password.
Is there any way to keep the changes saved in cvs but not to generate
a new version in cvs subsystem for this change and not to send emails
(the latter is probably the implication of the former)?
That would defeat the purpose of CVS surely?

CVS is built to track every change in a file; if a file has changed you
*will* get a new version number - that is how it is supposed to work. If
you have notification mails enabled, you will get a mail.

CVS has no content intelligence, i.e. it can't determine that the only
change in a file is a Nortel password and then ignore it. A change is a
change.

I don't see that you have any other options than

1. tolerate the extra mails
2. FILTER out password strings

Maybe there's a 3rd option - to disable this "feature" on a Nortel? If
the hash is changing I assume it's being re-salted so it's either a
reversible hash-type, or the Nortel has a plain-text copy of the
password somewhere. Are these CHAP passwords at all? Outside of CHAP
there's no justification for doing that in this day and age (secret 7
<cough><cough>)
--
Alan McKinnon
***@gmail.com
andrew.brennan+
2014-01-23 16:58:36 UTC
Aruba equipment has a similar behavior, you can disable the encryption at
the start of a RANCID login and re-enable it when you're done. I am *not*
a fan of doing that, though, as it translates to unnecessary config change
that has it's own side effects based in Aruba's architecture. We replace
a number of their encrypted strings as <removed> and comment those lines.

Does the Nortel equipment let you re-enter the passwords using the strings
you get from your "show config" output? I vaguely remember some equipment
that would encrypt the passwords during a show ... but they weren't usable
in that encrypted form.

andrew.
Hi,