[rancid] Install Rancid for Gentoo
Alexandra Bakhto
2007-06-20 20:00:03 UTC
Hi all:

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions on how to install and
configure Rancid fro Gentoo Linux.
Instructions posed at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Rancid do not really
work.

Alexandra Bakhto, MA, CCNP, CCDP, CISSP, GIAC GISP
Network Administrator (WAN), National Money Mart
Office: 250-595-5211 x421
Fax: 250-412-3110
E-Mail: ***@moneymart.ca <mailto:***@moneymart.ca>

This message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender and destroy this message.
john heasley
it looks ok to me. i suggest you explain the problem you're having.
john heasley
2007-06-20 20:35:06 UTC
Post by Dylan Vanderhoof
Thank you very much for you response!
Installation instruction at per http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Rancid do
not even include starting apache! Well I figured that out and I can now
it didn't tell you boot the machine either. demand a refund immediately.
Post by Dylan Vanderhoof
connect to HTTP:\\SERVER-IP\ but HTTP:\\SERVER-IP\configs or
HTTP:\\SERVER-IP\viewcvs still result in broken links. What am I doing
wrong?
i think cvs_roots is wrong in the viewcvs.conf example. inspect your
apache logs.
Alexandra Bakhto.
Dylan Vanderhoof
2007-06-20 20:22:27 UTC
Looks fine to me. I didn't follow that (since I didn't know it
existed), but it looks pretty similar to how I installed rancid on my
gentoo servers.

Its really not much different than installing it anywhere else.

-D

2007-06-20 20:30:55 UTC
Ahhh, I don't use viewcvs or the apache portion, so I suppose that's why
it seemed easier to me. I honestly don't know where that is concerned.
I think most people are using external/custom applications to handle the
CVS repository, or just monitoring the config change emails.

What do you get in the apache error log when you try to access those
links?

(CC'ing the list again, since somebody might have experience with the
web portion)

-D

2007-06-20 20:38:06 UTC
Please forgive my ignorance... where do find the apache error log?

Alexandra Bakhto
2007-06-20 20:42:10 UTC
Thanks, here are the errors;

NMMRancid / # tail var/log/apache2/error_log
[Wed Jun 20 12:03:05 2007] [error] [client 10.128.2.93] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/manual, referer: http://10.128.2.3
[Wed Jun 20 12:05:17 2007] [error] [client 10.128.2.93] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/var
[Wed Jun 20 12:05:20 2007] [error] [client 10.128.2.93] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/var
[Wed Jun 20 12:05:22 2007] [error] [client 10.128.2.93] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/var
[Wed Jun 20 12:13:01 2007] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
/usr/sbin/suexec2)
[Wed Jun 20 12:13:01 2007] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest
authentication ...
[Wed Jun 20 12:13:01 2007] [notice] Digest: done
[Wed Jun 20 12:13:01 2007] [notice] mod_python: Creating 8 session
mutexes based on 150 max processes and 0 max threads.
[Wed Jun 20 12:13:01 2007] [notice] mod_python: using mutex_directory
/tmp
[Wed Jun 20 12:13:02 2007] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming normal
operations

________________________________

/var/log/apache2/error_log most likely. Or somewhere in that general
area.

-D

john heasley
2007-06-20 20:58:05 UTC
Post by Alexandra Bakhto
Thanks, here are the errors;
NMMRancid / # tail var/log/apache2/error_log
[Wed Jun 20 12:03:05 2007] [error] [client 10.128.2.93] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/manual, referer: http://10.128.2.3
[Wed Jun 20 12:05:17 2007] [error] [client 10.128.2.93] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/var
[Wed Jun 20 12:05:20 2007] [error] [client 10.128.2.93] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/var
[Wed Jun 20 12:05:22 2007] [error] [client 10.128.2.93] File does not
exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/var
presumably it is simply that you have not tailored the apache configuration
for your environment, specifically where you've installed apache's document
root and viewcvs.
Chris Moody
2007-06-20 21:02:57 UTC
You will also need to make sure you tell apache where the web-interface is.

Here's my example, using name-based virtual hosts in Apache.

ex>

########## VIRTUAL HOST CONFIG FOR ViewCVS ##########
################# cmoody 11.21.05 ###################
<VirtualHost *:443>
ServerAdmin <insert your e-mail here>
DocumentRoot /var/www/localhost/viewcvs/
ServerName <dns-name for vhost goes here>
UseCanonicalName Off
ScriptAlias /config /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi
<Directory "/var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/viewcvs/">
AllowOverride AuthConfig
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory "/var/www/localhost/viewcvs/">
AllowOverride AuthConfig
Options Indexes MultiViews ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
Options MultiViews ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:39 PM
*To:* Alexandra Bakhto
/var/log/apache2/error_log most likely. Or somewhere in that general area.
-D
Please forgive my ignorance... where do find the apache error log?
I chose gentoo because supposedly applications are easier to
integrate there using the emerge command.
Installation instruction at per
_http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Rancid_ do not even include
starting apache! Well I figured that out and I can now connect
to HTTP:\\SERVER-IP\ but HTTP:\\SERVER-IP\configs or
HTTP:\\SERVER-IP\viewcvs still result in broken links. What am I
doing wrong? I followed all the instructions step by step...
Alexandra Bakhto.
.
Alexandra Bakhto
2007-06-20 20:58:03 UTC
Please forgive my ignorance... Which directories should I specify as
CVS roots in viewcvs.conf?