[rancid] RANCID and Redcom Labs Slice 2100
Lance Vermilion
2011-07-27 21:49:19 UTC
Hey All,

Has anyone used Expect or RANCID to connect to the Redcom Labs Slice 2100 or
HDX? It has a menu like interface but nothing like routers/switches that are
menu based.

Just a curious question.

-lance
Gavin McCullagh
2011-07-28 10:25:08 UTC
Post by Lance Vermilion
Has anyone used Expect or RANCID to connect to the Redcom Labs Slice 2100 or
HDX? It has a menu like interface but nothing like routers/switches that are
menu based.
I take it this is a menu system in a text console? Many 3Com switches have
something similar to this. Regrettably, the 3Coms don't seem to have a way
to dump the config to the command line. This is the key issue really.
After that, you may need to massage the code a little to best deal with
your device's syntax and output.

The 3Coms have a way to upload the config to a remote TFTP server and I've
been considering using that as a workaround, ie connect to switch,
upload the config to a server, then connect to the server over tftp and
download the config for rancid to work on. It's messy though.

Gavin
Lance Vermilion
2011-08-03 16:07:51 UTC
It is a typical menu system where you enter and option and then from there
you might get to set values or go into sub menus.

I think it is going to be a very trialing experiment to get it to work.

I might just start with expect and see if I can get it to work. If I succeed
then move to a rancid script and going from there.
Post by Gavin McCullagh
Hi,