[rancid] Nortel Support
AJ Schroeder
2014-01-30 16:38:28 UTC
Hello list,

I finally got the Nortel switches in my environment backing up properly with RANCID. I made separate scripts for the baystack and ERS switches in our environment. As I was googling around I know that adding support for these switches has been discussed in the past but I never saw an answer. Would the devs of RANCID be interested in adding support for these Nortel devices?

In either case, I am having some difficulties processing the end of the baystack output. The config just simply ends. There is no 'back' or 'end' that I can key in on to tell RANCID that the config is done and it can logout. I have it working, but it leaves this at the end of the captured config file:

qos queue-set-assignment queue-set 3 1p 7 queue 1
ES-470#logout

I tried to get RANCID to watch for the $prompt variable, but it just sits there and eventually times out. The best I have been able to do is leave the logging in and out to my custom 'nortellogin' script, then everything works, except it leave this in the config file.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

AJ Schroeder
Maxime Baudin
2014-02-03 15:26:04 UTC
Post by AJ Schroeder
Hello list,
Hello,
Post by AJ Schroeder
I finally got the Nortel switches in my environment backing up
properly with RANCID.
\o/
Post by AJ Schroeder
I made separate scripts for the baystack and ERS switches in our
environment. As I was googling around I know that adding support for
these switches has been discussed in the past but I never saw an
answer. Would the devs of RANCID be interested in adding support for
these Nortel devices?
Don't know about de devs, but I'm really interested by the work you've
done !

I have a lot of ERS switch and backup up is still a problem.

Would you mind posting your scripts on the list ?

Best regards,
Maxime Baudin
AJ Schroeder
2014-02-03 23:34:56 UTC
Hello,

I have copies of the modified scripts here: https://github.com/ajschroeder/rancid/

Like I said, they aren't perfect, but the the 'passlogin' and 'passrancid' scripts backup the ERS 8300 and 8600 switches in our environment. We also have two Avaya 8800 switches here, but this script doesn't work with them at all. As for the 'nortellogin' and 'nortelrancid' scripts, I use those to backup our old Baystacks (460,470, 5510, 5520). The catch is that you need to make sure you have a late enough version of software loaded so you can disable the login banners and menus.

I'll work on getting a README typed up at some point with some of this information.

AJ

Maxime Baudin
Maxime Baudin
2014-03-03 15:59:39 UTC
Post by AJ Schroeder
Hello list,
I finally got the Nortel switches in my environment backing up
properly with RANCID. I made separate scripts for the baystack and ERS
switches in our environment. As I was googling around I know that
adding support for these switches has been discussed in the past but I
never saw an answer. Would the devs of RANCID be interested in adding
support for these Nortel devices?
Hi again.

I've tested the "nortel" side of your scripts and it works very well !!
thanks a lot.

Here is the list of tested hardware :

* Avaya 4548 (POE and non-POE) Software version = v5.6.1.053

* Avaya 5510/5530 : Software version = v6.2.5.027 and Software version =
v6.2.0.008

* Avaya 5650 : Software version = v6.2.5.027

4548 needs : 'banner disabled' command
5xxx needs : 'banner disabled' and 'cmd-interface cli' commands

I've noticed two issues :

1/ As you mentionned, there is a "logout" in the config file
2/ the nortellogin script tries to log in 2 or 3 times in the same
connection, I didn't find out why.

I'll try to find out for the 2 issues.

Hope the scripts will be added in future version of rancid.

best regards,
Maxime
--
Maxime Baudin - Rectorat de Rennes
SERIA-R, 8 rue Jean-Julien Lemordant - 35000 Rennes
E-mail :Maxime.Baudin(at)ac-rennes.fr
Francois Mikus
2014-03-05 16:29:01 UTC
Hello,

I have implemented good ERS-1600, ERS-8600, ERS-8800 and baystack 470
support. Glad to see 45xx support, I will definitely give it a try!

The only one that is causing an issue at this time is the baystacks.
After a variable number of runs (100s or 1000s) the ssh sessions become
stuck on the baystacks and eventuallly all 3 available connections are
stuck and the switch needs to be rebooted. :-( I expected this is
related to how rancid closes the ssh connection, but I haven't spent
much time on testing a fix.

I will put them up on my web site.

Thank you,

Francois Mikus