[rancid] Full scheduled automated backup of Cisco ASA55XX
Michael Maymann
2012-03-06 10:14:25 UTC
Hi List,

I would like to do _FULL_ scheduled automated backups of my ASA55XX:
Unfortunately it seems that Cisco doesn't provide a CLI command that does
this, so I have to gather all the info from different places myself (with
the risk of forgetting something/missing something if the box gets updated):
https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3578075#3578075

- Does any of you have a working script that does this already ?
- Does it distribute the information to the right files and zip it, so you
get easy restorable file as ASDM:Tools->Backup Configurations ?

Or do I really have to purchase CiscoWorks to get this functionality
(thought I had already paid more than enough - and must admid, I really
didn't think scheduled backup/easy restore would be an issue for the worlds
nr1 network-company...!)

Thanks in advance :) !
~maymann
Adam Korab
2012-03-06 17:22:41 UTC
What about using cron to fire off clogin to execute 'copy run tftp' ? That
would preserve your VPN per shared keys and combined with the config repo
within rancid, you should have everything, from full configs to serial
numbers etc.

--Adam

~maymann
Michael Maymann
2012-03-06 18:05:43 UTC

Adam: thanks for your quick reply :)

1. What is "config repo within rancid" and how do I configure this...?
2. Does ASA support SCP instead of TFTP - to make the transfer secure and
so I don't have to configure a otherwise unneeded TFTP-server ?
3. Will this be easy restore'able like the zip-file created from ASDM, or
do I have to manually put all information into the box by hand ?

Thanks in advance :) !
~maymann